This model only varies from the Sonicare HX9112/02 FlexCare by the fact it comes with a UV Sanitizer (apologies for the American spelling, but that’s what it’s called).
Now the addition of a sanitiser may be viewed as just a gimmick to bump up the price by a few quid; but I think this may be underestimating the value many people are placing on this idea.
I believe we may be seeing and hearing a lot more about the benefits of incorporating a sanitiser in the future.
Removing bacteria from out mouth maybe just one of the of reasons with brush our teeth, but what about the bacteria on your toothbrush? It is always smart not to leave your toothbrush laying around the bathroom collecting bacteria, you should always put it away in a cupboard or drawer at least.
Alternatively you could use a Sanitiser; in-between brushing the bacteria on your brush multiply by the millions, and then we put that same brush to brush with next time around, um – maybe not a good idea!
How the Sanitiser Works
That little compartment on the left hand side of the charging station is not your average toothbrush holder – it’s an Ultra-Violet Sanitiser, this very clever device uses ultra-violet light to kill the bacteria on your toothbrush.
All you need to do after each time you brush is pop your brush head into the sanitiser, next time you brush you will using a bacteria free brush, how cool is that?
As with all the Sonicare range of toothbrushes, the FlexCare uses Philips patented sonic technology that produces 31,000 brush head movements per minutes, compared with the 300 strokes per minute that we can achieve brushing manually.
But it’s not just the mega amounts of brush movements that make sonic brushes so effective, the vibrations also deliver a gentle but dynamic cleaning action that drives fluid deep between teeth and along the gum-line to remove plaque and help prevent the development of gum disease and improve gum health.
Philips claim the sonic technology has been proven, with clinical research, to remove up to twice as much plaque as manual toothbrush and as we know removing plaque is the key to preventing gum disease.
However, I always take manufacturers claims lightly and to my knowledge this claim has not been independently verified, don’t put much store in such phrases as “clinically tested” as they really don’t mean much.
Charging and Battery Life
To get the most out of your Sonicare’s battery life, it is essential that you charge it for 24 hours before first use.
- Sonicare’s dynamic cleaning action drives fluid between the teeth, effectively cleaning every surface, even between the teeth and along the gumline.
- Daily use of the White mode can help you achieve teeth that are 2 shades whiter in just 2 weeks. Proven to remove coffee, tea, tobacco and red wine stains.
- FlexCare is clinically proven to improve gum health in just two weeks. Its Gum Care mode targets and cleans the gum line, removing plaque while stimulating gums.
- Safe to use on: braces dental restorations (fillings, crowns, veneers) and periodontal pockets.
- Clinically proven safe and gentle.
- The integrated ultraviolet (UV) sanitiser removes up to 99% of bacteria* on your toothbrush
- 2-minute timer automatically tracks brushing time, ensuring recommended brushing regime is followed and turns the toothbrush off when brushing is complete.
- 30 seconds interval timer indicates when you have completed each quadrant of your mouth and signals for you to move on.
- Easy-start programme. Gently increases power over the first 14 uses to ease into the Sonicare experience.
- 3 Intensity settings — Low, Medium or High — to create a brushing experience that’s perfectly tailored to you.
- Intuitive pressure sensor, the handle gently vibrates when too much pressure is applied to reduce over brushing and helps user to adopt proper brushing technique.
- Long battery life, 3 weeks of use on a single full charge or 42 x 2-minute brushings.
- Reminder bristles gradually fade, indicating when it’s time to replace brush heads.
The FlexCare has 3 brushing modes, so you can tailor your brushing just how you want. If you have stained teeth you could use the White mode until the stains get removed and then tune down to the standard mode of clean. The three cleaning modes are:
- Clean – the standard mode for a whole mouth clean
- White – removes surface stains to whiten teeth
- Gum Care – gently stimulates and massages gums
What’s in the Box
- 1 x Handle
- 1 x InterCare standard brush head
- 1 x InterCare mini brush head
- 1 x UV (Ultra-Violet) Sanitiser
- 1 x Hard travel case
This is a high performance brush and consequently comes with a quite a high price tag. Nonetheless it’s still great value, packs a big punch and looks fantastic. If you are like me, you will love the UV brushhead sanitiser idea; I can certainly recommend you give this one a try.
If your are not convinced you need a sanitiser; but are interested in learning more about all the features available in a modern electric toothbrush, visit my best electric toothbrush guide.