I would recommend taking a look at what the Oral-B 6500 has to offer, it’s a brilliant brush with all the bells and whistles expected from a modern brush.
The Trizone 5000 was voted ‘Product of the Year’ in the Consumer Survey of Product Innovation 2013 and gets its name from the triple action cleaning zones of the brush head.
Although you use the Trizone in the same way as you would use a manual brush; Oral-B claim the triple action cleans away more plaque than manual brushing and gives a thorough clean to all the surfaces of your teeth.
The three zones of the brush head are:
- Zone 1 is a triangular cluster of 3 light blue bristles to form a dynamically angled power tip
- Zone 2 consists of 3 rows of 3 dark blue stationary bristles that pulsate
- Zone 3 consists of 3 rows of 3 white bristles that sweep and pulsate
The short video below will give you better idea of how this clever technology works.
Charging and Battery Life
The vast majority of electric toothbrushes need to be charged for at least 24 hours before first use and the Trizone 5000 is no exception. Fully charged this provides enough juice for ten days of regular brushing (twice a day for two minutes per brushing).
Recharging the handset after it has been used will generally take a few hours less than when first charged but it’s still going to take around 17 hours so be prepared.
Triple Action Pressure Control System
Dentist’s estimate that between 10 to 20 percent of the population have damaged their teeth or gums as a result of over brushing and warn that aggressive brushing can lead to sensitive teeth and receding gums.
Suprisingly it’s often the people who are particularly careful about their oral care who are prone to brush too hard. In other cases it can be just as simple as using a brush that is too hard.
Other factors, such as a genetic predisposition to receding gums, clenching or grinding your teeth or having had your teeth straightened with braces, can increase your risk for damage from over brushing.
To help you avoid excessive brushing, this model uses a Triple Action Pressure Control System. This intelligent system is able to sense if you’re using too much pressure when brushing. It uses three different signals to let you know you’re brushing too hard.
- Auditory – The pulsating action of the toothbrush is stopped, which changes the sound of the toothbrush, giving you an auditory signal that you’re brushing too hard.
- Visual – An innovative red light band that is integrated into the handle of the toothbrush begins to flash, giving you a visual signal (see image below).
- Sensory – The system takes brushing assistance to the next level by actively switching the brushing mode to the Sensitive mode, reducing the speed of the brushing action, giving you a final sensory signal to help you avoid excessive brushing.
Digital Smart Guide
The digital Smart Guide unit that is basically a wireless clock that tells the time – until you switch on your toothbrush. At this point the Smart Guide wirelessly synchronises with the toothbrush to give you real-time visual feedback that prompts you into brushing the way dentists recommend.
At first I thought this was just a gimmick that was introduced to justify the rather high price tag of this brush. However I have changed my opinion about the Smart Guide. Anything that helps to improve our brushing technique is key has to considered a worthwhile addition.
The Smart Guide helps in this respect with its Star Reward System. A simple yet effective feature meant to help motivate better brushing, the Star Reward System consists of five stars that light up one by one as you brush, giving a full five-star rating when you brush properly for the dentist-recommended two minutes.
You also get the added bonus of seeing a smiley face appear, brush for longer and the smiley face starts to wink at you (no kidding).
Note: The choice of brushing mode affects when the star ratings and smiley faces appear as some modes require three minute brushing.
Along with the Star Reward System and a brush mode indicator, the wireless Smart Guide includes features which work together to give you real-time brushing feedback, which includes where to brush, how long you need to brush and if you’re apply too much pressure.
The Quadrant Prompt feature gives you a visual prod after 30 seconds to change the quadrant, or area, of your mouth, helping you to brush thoroughly across all 4 quadrants of your mouth. This again is no gimmick, it is very easy to get into the habit of spending unequal amounts of time on each quadrant; often the first quadrant being brushed receives far more time than the last quadrant.
Replace Brush Head Indicator: Dentists recommend that you change your brush head every 3 months, when brushing twice a day for two minutes.The Smart Guide memorises your absolute brushing time, and tells you when you should replace it, to ensure that you are brushing with a brush head that performs at its best.
The Triumph 5000 has five different cleaning modes available at the push of a button.
- Daily Clean mode – This is the typical setting we suggest you use every day, this, along with one of the standard brush heads such as the Precision or TriZone will give a good all round clean, plus it will help you maintain fresh breath by removing food particles from between teeth. Alternatively you can use this mode with the floss action head for an improved interdental action which reduces the need for regular flossing.
- Sensitive mode – This is best used in combination with a sensitive brush head, it provides one of the most gentle cleans on the market, and is ideal for those who suffer from sensitive teeth or a receding gum line. It sweeps away plaque at a slower speed than the normal mode and the polish is just as good too, it removes plaque without risking harm to your mouth. This is also a great mode for children whose gums are still developing.
- Polish mode – Removes the build-up of every day stains like red wine and can even tackle those nasty surface stains caused by coffee, dark coloured fizzy drinks or even worse smoking.
- Massage mode – An exclusive option introduced when the model number reaches 5000, it’s designed to gently massage your gum line by increasing the plaque and bacterial removal from around the base of teeth. The pulsation is more varied and the vibrations break down any build-up therefore allowing it to much more easily swept away by the bristles.
- Deep Clean mode – The ideal selection for a really through deep clean, used in combination with the Dual clean brush head for optimal results for both teeth and gums. Personally I use this mode twice a month with a deep clean toothpaste like the Colgate weekly toothpaste available here.
Oral-B advise starting with the brush and toothpaste in your mouth to avoid the toothpaste flying everywhere, this is a powerful little devil with 8,800 rotations and 40,000 pulsations a minute.
You don’t want to spend 2 minutes cleaning your teeth and 30 minutes cleaning toothpaste off your bathroom walls and ceiling.
Compatible brush heads
The brush is compatible with an impressive nine different types of brush heads. This is an important consideration and covers all the options and is especially useful if more than one person uses the brush. Everyone can just swap to the most suitable brush head that fits their individual requirements.
- Trizone – The signature brush head of the range, three groups of sweeping bristles which feel much more like a manual brush
- Precision Clean – Cleans deeper, and when combined with the deep clean brushing setting will help remove staining
- Floss Action – Provides interdental cleaning reducing the need for regular flossing and prevents the build-up of food particles and plaque
- 3D White – Additional whitening abilities which gives teeth surfaces a good polish
- Sensitive Clean – Just the job for those with sensitive teeth or receding gums
- Dual Clean – Ideal for ensuring both your teeth and gums are cleaned properly even in difficult to reach areas of your mouth
- Stages for Kids Range – Makes the Trizone the ideal electric toothbrush for kids too
- Ortho Care – A special brush head for people with a brace or other dental work
- Interspace Head – Made up from three small sets of bristles this head is perfect for cleaning bridges, crowns and fillings.
A nice feature is that a Oral-B toothbrush head comes with a coloured ring that fits on to the base of the replacement brush head. These rings come in a variety of colours allowing you to distinguish between different people’s brush heads if your share your toothbrush handle.
What’s in the Box
- 1 x Braun Oral-B TriZone 5000 rechargeable handle
- 2 x Oral-B TriZone brush heads
- 1 x Oral-B IP17-1 Interspace brush head
- 1 x Wireless Smart Guide
- 1 x Premium charger base with brush head storage and travel case
The Trizone 5000 is undoubtably one of the best electric toothbrushes in the Oral-B range. There is very little to fault with this model.
It is packed with useful features and was Voted Product of the Year’ in the Consumer Survey of Product Innovation 2013; the Trizone is now considerable cheaper than it used to be and is great value.